VAPESTA

VAPESTA

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Best of the Best of...


Every year (well for the last 4 or 5) when Pitchfork releases their best 50 albums/100 singles, I always feel obligated to go through all the artists and try to discover/rediscover some I've never heard of. Why?- I'm not really sure, but probably because all my other friends/journalists/music critics/anybody who listens to similar music does. Obviously my bias is towards electronic music, but im all open ears. From this years countdown Ive heard some new artists I find particularly interesting-- Air France and Portishead (rediscovered in this case) for example. However, I never view Pitchfork as the "ultimate" source of music journalism I feel alot of music people do. I still like Rolling Stone and shitty electro blogs run by Australians. After reading their review of Aoki's awful mix album, I felt like instead of bashing Aoki's poor choice in music they choose to criticize his style and mannerisms when Djing (but hey I'd really like a swig of some grey goose every now and then, right?). As much good as Pitchfork does for indie rock and under-the-radar music, they seem to carry this elitist attitude in their way about doing it. So here are a couple of track I found indirectly through Pitchfork, whether it be a song from an album or a single from the top 100 list. This years list was significantly different than last years, more electro-ish list. A lot of the dance/electronic music reflects the disco-revival of this previous year (see "Blind" and alot of Aeroplane write ups). While, yes, these songs were good and catchy, but I'd rather see more "banger"-oriented tracks associated with poor dj'ing and Steve Aoki. Yeh, the music isnt flawless and the Bloody Beetroots tracks often sound like theyre skipping a beat, but its always upbeat and ideal for a energetic, party hungry college student such as myself. I'll listen to Fleet Foxes when im 37 and have a couple kids, you know?

No Excuses- Air France
Machine Gun- Portishead
Collapsing at Your Doorstep- Air France
Strangers- Portishead
Poison Dart- The Bug
The Kramer- Wale

No comments: